Gaza Ceasefire Breakthrough: Hamas Agrees to Talks on Trump’s Plan Amid Israeli Strikes Killing 6; Trump Urges Israel to Halt Bombing

In a potential turning point for the nearly two-year Israel-Hamas war, Hamas announced on Saturday its readiness to enter immediate negotiations on a U.S.-proposed ceasefire plan, including the release of all remaining Israeli hostages. The statement came just hours after President Donald Trump issued a stern deadline for acceptance, warning of “all hell” if rejected. However, the fragile optimism was marred by fresh Israeli airstrikes on Gaza, which local officials said killed at least six Palestinians, including four in Gaza City and two in Khan Younis—defying Trump’s appeals for de-escalation.

Hamas’s conditional acceptance of Trump’s 20-point plan—unveiled earlier this week during Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s White House visit—signals a willingness to finalize terms, though it seeks amendments on key issues like Gaza’s future governance and Palestinian rights. The group explicitly agreed to release the 48 hostages still held since the October 7, 2023, attack that killed 1,200 Israelis, in exchange for hundreds of Palestinian prisoners and an immediate end to hostilities. However, Hamas did not commit to disarmament or ceding political control in Gaza, elements central to the proposal that would bar the group from future governance and install a technocratic Palestinian committee overseen by an international “Board of Peace” led by Trump.

Hamas’s Statement: Open to Talks, But with Caveats

In its official response, Hamas stated it accepts “several parts” of the plan, including hostage releases within 72 hours and the return of deceased captives’ remains, but emphasized that aspects concerning Gaza’s post-war administration and broader Palestinian aspirations “require further consultations within a national framework.” A senior Hamas leader described the 72-hour hostage release timeline as “unrealistic” but expressed optimism for “positive” engagement, potentially opening a “window for negotiations” in the next 48 hours via mediators in Qatar and Egypt. The group framed its position as prioritizing Palestinian unity, rejecting any isolation of Gaza from the wider cause.

This comes after months of stalled talks, with Hamas previously hinting at partial buy-in to halt the war and secure hostage returns. Palestinian factions like Islamic Jihad and the Popular Resistance Committees voiced support for the response on Saturday.

Trump’s Response: Gratitude, Caution, and a Call to Israel

Trump, who has positioned himself as the sole architect of Middle East peace, reacted swiftly on Truth Social, declaring Hamas “ready for a lasting PEACE” and urging Israel to “immediately stop the bombing of Gaza, so that we can get the Hostages out safely and quickly!” In a White House video message, he thanked mediators including Qatar, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Jordan for their “hard work,” calling it a “big day” and expressing eagerness to see hostages reunited with families—while somberly noting some may return in “grave condition.”

“Everybody was unified in wanting this war to end… We’re very close to achieving that,” Trump said, adding that the deal extends beyond Gaza to “long-sought PEACE in the Middle East.” Global leaders echoed the sentiment: German Chancellor Friedrich Merz hailed it as the “best chance for peace,” while French President Emmanuel Macron urged swift follow-through.

Israeli Strikes and Netanyahu’s Stance

Despite Trump’s directive, Israeli forces conducted airstrikes early Saturday, killing six in residential areas—a stark contrast to reports of eased bombardment intensity. Netanyahu’s office indicated Israel is preparing for the plan’s first phase, including hostage releases, with indirect talks set for Egypt in the coming days. Israeli opposition figures like Yair Lapid and Yair Golan pressed Netanyahu to advance the deal, warning against sabotage.

The war, triggered by Hamas’s 2023 assault, has claimed over 41,000 Palestinian lives per Gaza health authorities, with relentless Israeli operations displacing millions. Under the plan, “full aid” would flood Gaza upon agreement, paving the way for reformed Palestinian Authority oversight. As indirect negotiations loom, the next 48 hours could determine if this “decisive” moment yields lasting peace or renewed escalation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *